Thursday, February 9, 2012

Apple Crisp

I can't remember how long it's been since I last cooked from Julia Child's cookbook. I feel like I never stopped flipping through the book but I just realized I didn't cook anything from it until today. Oh, no, that's not true. I made apple crisp more than once over the winter. For a while I was hooked to my roommate's little everyday baking cookbook and baked a bunch of cookies and cupcakes. Then I decided I wanted to dive more into Chinese cooking. Then I just repeated some of the old recipes I made over and over again. In a word, for a while, my weekly Julia cooking had diminished to a vintage point in my life.
During my baking endeavor, I managed to find one recipe in Julia's book that seemed simple enough for me to start, because we all know, the precision of ingredients that baking requires obviously does not match up to my non-measure cooking style.
Apple crisp has enough space for twists and turns.
This was also when I realized that oats, which I didn't have,  could almost always replaced by honey oats cereal, which I always have in the kitchen. I must admit I never truly liked apples, I still am not particularly fond of them, and only eat them when I feel like I need to be healthier and be on diet. But I have grown rather attached to the sweet taste of baked apples in apple pies or apple crisps. How American I have become!


No comments:

Post a Comment